In early 2008, my husband, Ton, received the opportunity to work and live abroad in Malaysia for two years, and we eagerly decided to go for it. Besides the chance to soak in SouthEast Asia – a region of the world that’s always fascinated me, a number of things motivated me to take on this adventure:
1) Recently, it hit me that I was turning 40 next year. (I think it happened when Ton said, “You know, you’re turning 40 next year”). That only added to the intensity of a question I’ve been pondering lately – I have not one complaint about my life, yet I sometimes wonder in a slightly deflated way, could the significant events – the “big deals” – be over? To which I quickly respond… Hell no! Bring on Malaysia.
2) I feel I can be a better citizen of my own country if I leave it for awhile. Travel revitalizes the soul and humanizes the world – helps us see our fellow mates around the globe as individuals, not aggregated faceless blobs drawn from the media. Only good can come from getting to know my fellow citizens of the world one on one, while representing my own country with dignity and grace.
And finally, I don’t often admit this, but I must be honest and put it out there:
3) I’ve become a bit afraid of the world, and I want to get over it and stay over it. At times, I find myself sucked into an irrational fear that everyone outside my country’s borders wants to spit on me, or even kill me. I’ve traveled internationally many times over the last 8 years, and, across board, that NEVER happens of course. People will make their issues with our government and president clear and known, but they’re open to me and anyone else as an individual. Yet, my fear still lingers, which shames and saddens me. I want to get past it, and there’s no better way to achieve this than kicking up the gears – living abroad in the Far East.
Time to be a true member of the world, not just one country. I crave citizenship that expands beyond national borders. Ton and I are up, up and away!
Input/thoughts/questions? Please post a comment – I’d love this blog to be interactive. I’ll be far away from my posse and my peeps, and I know I’ll be craving connection. Also, if there are things you’d like to know about as I make my way over there – specific topics that interest you – tell me that too.
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Have a wonderful trip and know you will be missed. We will keep in touch.
Pleasant travels,
Christine & John
I am thrilled for you. What an adventure! I can't wait to read your blogs and see pictures. Thanks for the east coast time conversion!
Michelle
WOW Dana! I am so impressed, what a great blog; very well laid out, interesting, but of course no surprise from such a talented individual. I KNOW this is the next phase for you, I see many, many positive things on the horizon...this will be the jump that takes your writing to the next level. CONGRATULATIONS!
~your writing buddy and book club champion - Kathleen
We can't wait to hear about all of the adventures! Shannon, Bill, and Bizz
L-Bos is jealous, and hopefully heading to Guangzhou in July, would love to stop by and see those beaches if my husband lets me. Will let you know. Have a wonderful time!
Dana,
What a great idea this blog is!! Looking forward to your frequent updates, and we'll be sure to ask you questions (including the girls). I love Malaysia, and I'm sure you'll have the next "big thing" time of your life!
jill
Go Danes!
I am already racking my brain for assignments. One could be compile a list of ridiculously exotic local delacacies/food items that you would be willing to eat and let me pick one for you to eat. Or even better jut go ahead and eat them all and post pictures of you eating them. This might be better accomplished after getting accustomed to the local culture - so no rush. Just food for thought.
Safe travels and keep up the posting. We will miss you!
Love
Jo, Stew, Simon, Henry and baby beaner
That took us by surprise. We wish you both a wonderful time. Always take your changes in life as they are numbered. We'll keep in touch.
Love Ernest & Ellen from the Netherlands
I am so happy for you and Ton. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to see you prior to you leaving. You both will be in our thoughts and hope to hear from you both soon. Hugs to you both!
David and Betsy
You must be both so excited. We are looking forward to following your adventures on this blog. We are sure you will really enjoy your tremendous adventure. We hope to stop by for a visit.
Mike & Amanda
Palau
Post a Comment