Sunday, June 1, 2008

1 Week Down, 103 To Go!

[the header picture is a view from one of our balconies]

What I’m Digging: The diversity of the people here. As Ton and I walked down our street, Gurney Drive, which fronts the strait between Penang Island and the mainland, I saw all these people in one short stroll – two Buddhist monks on a bench looking at the sea, teenage couples sitting on the rocks doing the same, a young family with a toddler, a middle-aged woman walking her dog (a shih-tzu I believe), a homeless man, two elderly women – deep wrinkles in their faces – taking a rest, again viewing the sea. You see everything from Muslim women with head scarves to teenage girls in tiny tank tops and high heels. You see Malays, Chinese, Indians and Westerners.



Key Learning: The lane stripes on the roads are just guidelines, not remotely rules – cars drift amidst them as it suits the drivers; sometimes they drive happily along half in one, half in the other. Ton is rocking our Toyota Camry though. We drove a half hour to the beach resort area this afternoon. It was gorgeous (MASSIVE palm trees), and the roads were relatively tame. He managed it all with flair. Side note: The motorbike drivers here are seriously gutsy.
Not My Sharpest Moment: I get on the treadmill, program in my normal speed, and wonder “Why is this going so slowly? Darn thing must be broken.” Then it hits me, the speed is in kilometers here.
How I know I’m not in Kansas Anymore: The level of sweat soaking through my clothes as I work out. I also have something I've not had in ages - a zit.
Quote of the Week: Out doing errands, I notice a button has popped open on my blouse and I say, “Oh no, I’m a hussy.” Ton replies, “Thank god. I’ve been waiting for this day.”
Parting Thought: So much for the pipe dream of “Wouldn’t it be great if I lost weight while I was here?” Ha! With the many delights available in Penang, including bakeries full of items such as “a harmony of chocolate and vanilla cream brimming with pastry,” I’m tempted left and right. Friday night, we attended a rug auction (where the wine was flowing plentifully) with some new friends, Mauricio and Anita, where we unexpectedly bought three oriental rugs. Post-auction, we landed at a party spot called SOHO with a posse of expats and locals. As I made my way onto the club’s smoky dance floor clutching a local beer (called Tiger), I thought, so much for my healthy kick. We didn't get home until 2AM or so, after we’d gone with the crew for oxtail soup and a chicken scallion omelette. Then we get a call Saturday night from one of the couples we'd met asking if we want to go out AGAIN. Needless to say, we’ve met fabulous people already, which makes adjusting to Penang all the more easy . Bring on more outings with this new pack of fun people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always knew you had some hussy in you! Funny that it came out in Penang of all places.
Sounds like you're enjoying your new home and meeting some great people. That's an awesome start.

Okay - here are your food challenges that you must try and report on:
Durian
Rambutan
Longan
Mangosteen
Hokkien Mee
Laksa
Meat Floss :)
Buy a chicken at the market to bring home
Po Piah
Chicken Rice
Lor Bak
Kuih - any kind or color - find the ones you like.
buy a fish at the market - any kind
go to dim sum
Murtabak

You'll find some of these at markets, some at hawker stands, etc. KC thinks these are way too easy but I think it will ease you into experiencing more of the Penang food culture. Once you get through these, we'll offer up some new, more challenging options. :)
Some of these are my favorites, some are KC's.

Have fun!
Looking forward to the next write up.
Christine

Anonymous said...

I just read your entry and am feeling the itch already. The pull of an exotic locale is pulling me...palm trees, humidity, new foods, kilometers...it's all so far from here!

We're in our last week of school here. Finals are Monday through Thursday and graduation is on Friday. If only I were jumping on a plain Friday night.

Sigh.
-Cristi

Esther said...

hey there....not much to say, for now...just an ever-so-quick-hello-and-miss-you.

TresTopics said...

So glad you are enjoying your first week :). We will live thru you and your adventures. Let me know when you try Yellow Light and/or Banana Leaf.

Hugs to you Heath

Anonymous said...

I wonder if "a harmony of chocolate and vanilla cream brimming with pastry" ships well to AZ. I need me some of that!

I was glad to check in to find all is well with you guys. I have safely returned from a week with my kids in New England. Didn't make it to Wellesley, but did spend on evening in Boston. Not as exotic as your travels, but hey, at least I got to see Duran Duran! HA!


Be well! Robin

Anonymous said...

Oh we all have a little "hussy" in us : )

So what do you miss? Are you able to have your tea? Or is it too hot to want tea?

Keep writting and I'll keep reading!

-Shayna

Anonymous said...

Ganesh is a big part of my life. He oversees my office, and also has a little shrine in my bedroom. You know me always off on some auspicious adventure. Food looks fantastic; great that you got to spend some time with KC and family. Glen and I are in San Diego, loving the 74 degree high, VS the 114 degree torture back in Phoenix...Miss you both XXOO Princepesa