Saturday, June 21, 2008

To Market We Go!


The picture above is cilantro and other goodies from a vegetable stall in the Pilau Tikus wet market. I've been to the market twice this week - the first time with Santha, our amah (maid/cook), to get cleaning supplies and veggies/fruit, and the second with our friend KC Quah and his mother and sister. These pix are from the first outing. Pictures of the Quah expedition to come in a few days.


The wet market is packed tight with stalls selling fresh produce, meat, flowers, spices and other goods. You must go as early in the morning as possible. A fun way to do your shopping! The white liquid in the bag below is coconut milk which Santha used to make sauteed okra and a vegetarian curry stew. The leaves in the last picture are curry leaves. They have a wonderful smell. The bucket contains spices. I bought and tried a persimmon fruit (looks like an orange tomato) for the first time. Thumbs up. I'll buy it again.

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

D-Bos!

Love the food pictures! Never ceases to amaze me that the spices I buy in bottles actually come from something that grew in the ground :) KC's mom was telling us how she makes curry last weekend - I'm so glad I have Safeway! Anxious to know how the music scene is treating you over there. Creating a "D-Bos" playlist so i can send some tunage back with the hubby in August! Let me know if you have any requests darlin!

xoxo

Schoolie

Anonymous said...

I love the updates. I feel like I am learning about a whole new culture. Well I guess I am!

Michelle