Friday, December 5, 2008

The USA beckons

Returning soon for Christmas and some time back home. It’s been almost 7 months since I left US soil. That’s definitely long enough to get me wondering what kind of reverse “culture shock” I may encounter.

Similar to many expats, I experienced the initial thrill of arrival and discovery in the cool place that is Penang. Then I dipped down to the bottom of the “V.” A lot of things began to chafe – things that were not bad or worse, just different, and dealing with the differences was tiring me out and leaving me cranky.

Then, for the month of November, I toured more of Malaysia than ever before, and it reinvigorated me. My love of Penang is now more present than ever. I will fly back to US leaving a place I admire and enjoy.


Dreading the flight by the way. I’m excited for a dose home though.

Here’s what two friends of mine said they've noticed when they return to the US (they’ve both lived in Asia over 4 years).

Ramona from Florida
  • Cravings for random foods – she doesn’t really like deli meat, yet she craves a big ol’ pastrami on rye whenever she goes home. It’s the access to previously unavailable foods that gets you all excited
  • The road rage – people in Penang can drive like maniacs, but not many people get really angry on the road. In the US, they do.
Sue from Ohio
  • Everything seems big – from the roads to the cars to the stores to the people.

  • Not all flight attendants are petite, gorgeous and incredibly helpful. (Traveling via Malaysia Air and Singapore Air leaves you way spoiled.)


  • People seem to be talking really loud.

We’ll see what my reactions are!





On a serious note: I won’t lie to you – the attacks in Mumbai shook me. But not enough to pull the plug and move home. What I can vouch for after living abroad for almost 7 months is this: the vast majority of the people in this world don't carry an intense grudge and wish people no harm. It will be the test of our time that that the tiny percentage of people who think otherwise can wreak such havoc.


As I prep to go, I'm realizing how much I will miss my friends here. A few are pictured below.





Ruchi Bhargava - she and her husband are expats with Intel as well, originally from India, though they'd lived in the US for years prior to moving here



My tennis coach Albert Cheah (here with Ton) - a Penang native




My pal Z (short for Tze) -
originally from Singapore, though she's lived in Penang most her adult life




Gillian and her daughter Naomi - Gillian and her hubby are from Scotland, but came here by way of Hong Kong. Both their kids were born abroad.

I went to Naomi's first birthday party this weekend.

1 comment:

TresTopics said...

Dana, I can't wait to see you. Miss you so much. Likely will have a baby by the time i see you - who knows.... XOXO, Safe travels. Heath