Saturday, October 4, 2008

Food Snaps

To follow my recent food update, I present the following snapshots. And I share a chicken story.

Below is Egg Prata, a breakfast dish. It's a super thin scrambled egg, wrapped in roti, a super thin local bread specialty. It comes with a curry sauce on the side for dipping. This makes a perfect brunch. And it costs 50 cents US.


Fishball soup from a Chinese place down the street from us. The soup was fine, but I found the fish ball quite bland.


The below meal comes steamed in a banana leaf, which you remove to find a yummy pork and rice concoction. It's rich and filling - comfort food. You can dip it in chili sauce to add some zing.



At the wet market, you can get fresh chicken to bring home for your dinner. And I mean fresh - they kill it right there. I told myself to toughen up and deal - I eat chicken, so I should be able to watch how the bird meets its demise. I position myself in the chicken area and watch the guy pull a chicken by its wings from one of the cages. The bird is squawking up a storm. The man raises his knife to the chicken's neck, stretched and exposed, and... I fled the area like I was escaping a raging wildfire. Perhaps I'll work up my courage another day. :-)

















4 comments:

Unknown said...

To Ms Dana....From Lauren...

So were the caves you visited really as colorful as the postcard you sent me?

Nee Shen said...

dana,

the pork and rice dumplings, we call it "chang", is not wrapped in banana leaf. It is wrapped in bamboo leaf.

D-Bos said...

I stand corrected! Thank you for pointing that out - I find it hard to keep track of all the new foods in my life. I'm sure I'll need more tips in the future.

Anonymous said...

Dana,
I laughed at your comment about the Ricotta Cheese. When we were in Germany - it was really hard to find Cheddar cheese. We finally found one guy at a market who carried it. The cheese cost us $12 a lb, and was worth every penny! It's funny how little things bring joy... like the Pam cooking spray. :)
Love,
Jill