Well, we’ve been here four months now, and things are at a whole new level. I have a local friend, Z (real name: Tze), who takes me to all kinds of places that only a local would know about. She knows I’m an adventurous eater (as long as the food is not mega-spicy hot), so she makes bold menu suggestions. I have now eaten:
-- soup with clear brown broth, mushrooms, gingko nuts, and wait for it… pig stomach
-- lightly fried pig liver served in a black sweet sauce
Both tasted fine, though I stopped at a few bites and wouldn’t order again. Not because I found them awful, but because I didn’t find them super-good. I think your tastes are all about what you grow up eating. I would love the black sauce on regular pork however.
Local Food Homeruns
One local food that I adore is Kerabu, a salad-type dish made with, among other things, a medium-spicy chili sauce, crushed nuts, lime juice and fresh herbs like cilantro. I’d love to find the recipe (for the one made with raw, crunchy cucumbers, not chicken feet).
As I shared in my food “fook” blogpost, I dig Otak-otak, a fish dish. I also enjoy a Nonya dish of sautéed bean sprouts, sprinkled with crushed tiny fried fish. Nonya is a type of local cuisine that blends Malay and Chinese cooking methods.
So there you have it! I look forward to the arrival of !Marsha! in November to whom I will introduce all these foods (not the pig stomach).
Rookie MoveI forgot my tote bag the other day when I went to the wet market. So I had to carry masses of little plastic bags around. As the bags increased in number and weight, they began to cut into my fingers and became a general pain.
Don’t forget that tote bag. There are no grocery carts at the ol’ wet market!
What I Miss
(it’s the little things that get ya)
-- A disposal
-- Frozen broccoli / frozen spinach
-- Frozen wild blueberries
-- A long hot shower
I finally found PAM Olive Oil Cooking spray and that makes me very happy.
Ricotta cheese proved elusive until just recently, when I found a store that will special-order it for me
What I’m Digging
-- A new era of cooking. Many mornings as I sip my tea, I peruse my cookbooks eagerly, pondering my next cooking attempt. I’ve made:
- a great Chinese soup in a light broth with noodles, soy sauce and mushrooms
- an Indonesian sweet potato/peanut soup with cabbage
- an awesome garam masala sauce for roasted veggies
- a kickass Mexican lasagna and lime-cumin cucumber, orange & red onion salad
-- I continue to meet interesting people. I’m consistently amazed at the vastness and diversity of Penang’s expat community.
-- I love the smell of Indian spices which wafts towards me every time I open my kitchen cabinet.

How I Know I’m Not in Kansas Anymore
I decided to make a braised chicken recipe which required:
-- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves (leaves removed from stems)
-- 10 whole cloves
Back home, I’d have tracked down the cloves, but the curry leaves would have stumped me.
Here in Penang, I just thought, “I’ll stop by the wet market and pick some up.” I know exactly where to find the dude that sells the curry leaves, and the Indian spice guy hooked me up with the cloves. I also bought fresh coconut milk (right-out-of-the-fruit-that-day fresh) for the sauce. Gotta love it!
Misc Food Learnings
-- Curry leaves are not spicy; in fact, they have a pleasant, soothing smell. It’s the chilies that make curry dishes hot.
-- Dried chilies are hotter than fresh.
-- Freshly-squeezed coconut milk doesn’t keep in the fridge. You must use it that same day, or it will separate and be generally icky.

3 comments:
You are SO adventurous! I am fully looking forward to the "Dana's Adventures in Eating" book by the time you get back to the US. . . :-) Since I have been eating hospital food for a month now, my mouth was literally watering as I read this post, except for the stomach and liver part. . . Love ya'! Deb
hey there..so which store will get the ricotta special order? Straits?
Dana "Double d",
Hope all is well with you and your hubby in Malaysia. It looks like a very cool country. I moved on from Edge Fitness to Mountainside. It's not the same but it will do for now. What I really miss is all the fun we had at the gym cracking jokes with the guys. I hope I can see you when you come home for the holidays.
Papa V
Post a Comment